The amazing abundance of tropo enhancement in the summer/fall of 2019 has completely made up for the severe lack of Sporadic E earlier in the year. For the second time this month, a tropo duct formed bringing in FM and TV signals up to 278 miles away. It started at about 8:00 PM when Norfolk, VA signals, at 120-140 miles away to the southeast, were coming in over semi-local and regional signals in my car. By 11:00 PM, the Norfolk signals were in with full HD Radio decodes and RDS on stations that don’t run HD. Norfolk’s 40 WTKR and 50 WGNT were in with local grade signals. This is a common occurrence in the warmer months at my location.
At 11:30 PM, the Norfolk signals faded away and were replaced with the common Philadelphia, PA FM & TV signals that I often get (at roughly 144 miles away) from the northeast instead. With that came a few new FM stations. The duct soon expanded into New York City and Long Island with WLNY-TV, a new digital log that I haven’t seen in 18 years since I first logged them as an analog signal. Although this duct wasn’t as strong as the one experienced on 9/11/19 where most New York City FM stations came in over my local Washington, DC signals, this opening made up with several random and unexpected FM & TV logs, with two signals (99.1 WAWZ and 107.9 WPPZ-FM) decoding in HD right over my local stations.
For brevity, I only have listed stations below which have new RDS/HD Radio screenshots, TV screenshots, or audio files. The content below has been added to my DX Logs pages.
- 88.9 WBYO Sellersville, PA, 157 miles, “Word FM” – ccm
- 89.9 WXTR Tappahannock, VA, 62 miles, “Life Talk Radio” – religious (first-time RDS decode from previously-logged station)
- 91.5 WNYE New York, NY, 227 miles, jazz program match to website
- 94.3 WJLK Asbury Park, NJ, 201 miles “94-3 The Point” – CHR
- 99.1 WAWZ Zarephath, NJ, 197 miles, “Star 99.1” – ccm, over local WDCH
- 99.9 WODE-FM Easton, PA, 179 miles, “99.9 The Hawk” – classic hits
- 105.7 WCHR-FM Manahawkin, NJ, 174 miles, “105-7 The Hawk” – classic rock (first-time RDS decode from previously-logged station)
- 106.3 WJSE North Cape May, NJ, 144 miles, “106.3 The Shore” – classic hits (first-time RDS decode from previously-logged station)
- 106.5 WTHJ Bass River Township, NJ, 170 miles, “Thunder 106” – country
- 107.9 WPPZ-FM Pennsauken, NJ, 144 miles, “Classix 107.9” – classic urban AC, over local WLZL
- 22 WTVE Reading, PA, 145 miles, “Sonlife” – religious (subdecode from Insignia DTT-901 menu with PSIP callsign visible)
- 26 WQAV-CD Glassboro, NJ, 150 miles, “Jewelry TV, Ind. (subdecode from Insignia DTT-901 menu with PSIP callsign visible)
- 29 WLNY-TV Riverhead, NY, 278 miles, “WLNY 10/55” – Ind.